Wednesday, June 24, 2009

So, Uh, You Can Dance?

It's a little odd, I guess, that I'm so obsessed with American Idol, but am left a little cold by So You Think You Can Dance. Yeah, I watch it on and off, but I'm not a junkie. I think it's because the fundamental mission is just different. Where AI can (although it doesn't always) find the singer who just never got a break, I feel like the dance world is just a little bit smaller. And it's a world where skill alone can in fact raise someone to the top. SYTYCD isn't about exposing a specific singer to the world, it's about introducing dance itself to the world.

Right now, I really like the Olde Ballerina. Ballet dancers by rule peak at an early age, which is too bad, because the maturity of life can almost never be part of those performances. But now, OB is totes rockin' the comp. I also like Kayla. There's something about her that's pretty magnetic. And, um, Janine, Saleisha called, she wants her yucky hairdo back. At least Saleisha didn't have a choice.

For the boys, I really like the Brotherless Brother, who's weirdly not as thin as I think dancers generally are. I also have my eye on Jason. He's got charazma. He's the exact opposite of the munchkin Brandon, who looks like he's technically the best, but just is a dud on screen.

No comments: