Saturday, June 27, 2009

Man-Crushes Are In.

I take it back. I'm relieved that Kris won AI. After Adam's ridiculously awesome Rollingstone cover story, I totally see how much of a star Adam is. I get it; he's got the goods. Had he won AI, you can bet that the media would have treated Kris as an ersatz Diana Degarmo. And that's saying something.

But by having Kris win (and by Kris and Adam being super snuggily friends), the media either seem obligated to have Kris along whenever they interview Adam, or--dare I dream--actually can't wait to hear Kris's reactions to Adam. And thereby they learn that Kris is actually pretty cool himself. Given that Wimbledon is going on right now (where my boy R-Fed is poised to go all kick-awesome on the world again), I'm reminded how tennis commentators often credit Andre Agassi and Rafa Nadal for making Pete Sampras and Roger Federer the stars that they are. I'm not saying that Kris is in any way music's equivalent of Pete or Roger, but in terms of their personalities as media catnip? Yeah, the comparison is apt. But Pete and Roger became media darlings in no small part to their counterparts--their nemesiseseseseses-cum-bros--whose flashiness were as much a part of their game as their skill.

And just when I thought that cuteness couldn't get any cuter. Cuteness went to cute school, and got a higher degree in being cute:



I'm sort of really proud of Arkansas right now. Yeah, I know. I'm a dork.

No comments: