Saturday, October 3, 2009

Even More Gut Reactions.

The Good Wife.
OMG, Carol Hathaway can do law! That sneaky and magical nurse. Okay, so the inner-politics of big law firm life is way more on the Eli Stone side of reality (as in, not at all) than is the channel formerly known as CourtTV, and, well, that's really all I've got. I get the sense that this is a Prisonbreak type show, where the central conceit probably works better as a movie than as a series. If you strip away the stripped-from-the-headlines dressings, the show is basically the second half of Law and Order.
Verdict: I'll watch the second episode, but I don't have a good feeling that this is going to become Can't Miss.

Eastwick.
Amazing. There is something worse than Lindsay Price. Hey, Rebecca Romijn, the '50's called. They want their broad acting back. Yeah, I know that could be benchier, but I'm tired, this would be like shooting fish that are tied to the end of a gun.
Verdict: Keep Sara Rue, Jaime Ray Newman, and Matt Dallas. Ditch the rest.

Modern Family. Once the connection between the three families was revealed, the pilot sort of fell into place. Now the truth of the title came through, and the chances for some real kick-awesome family dinner type scenes just went waay up. I liked the pilot well enough, but I'm moreso looking forward to what's to come.
Verdict: Solid start. The kid who plays Manny is a winner. And Ed O'Neill is yet another Married With Children alum who's done good.

Cougartown.

We have a winner! I get the criticism that Courteney Cox Arquette is too hot to pretend to be an over-the-hill fortysomething year-old. But she is so balls out with the humiliations, I can't help but laugh. Maybe it was low expectations, but I laughed more genuinely during this than I did during Modern Family.
Verdict: KEEPER!

No comments: