Sunday, November 1, 2009

This Fall's TV Is Amah-zing.

I've done a bunch of first impressions of the TV shows that I've checked out this season. I think that I've pretty much got my schedule down now, so here's a summary of what my DVR makes love to each week.
  • 30 Rock. Old reliable.
  • America's Next Top Model. Just an awful cycle; I look forward to tall people coming back. Give the title to bloody-eye girl. Apologize for the blackface. And never cheap out again (seriously, Tyra photographed twice and the "destination" was Hawaii? how much does this mess cost on a regular basis that you had to cut corners for the shorties?)
  • Community. An auspicious beginning has sort of lost its buzz. But Abed, Chevy Chase, and Ken Jeong more than make up for the already tired romance between Joel McHale and the water filterer.
  • Cougar Town. Best new guilty pleasure! Courteney Cox is balls to the wall in this, and it totally pays off. The sweet rapport she has with her son (of Aliens in America non-fame), her ex-husband (nailed it!), and her paper buddy are the highlights.
  • Dollhouse. Confession: I haven't watched an episode yet. Part of me is just waiting to see if FOX will actually air the entire season, or if I should just wait until it's fully released on DVD.
  • Family Guy. Junk food for the soul.
  • Flash Forward. Imagine Lost, but with an actual plot and with writers who actually know what they are doing.
  • Fringe. I'm upset at the Evil Francie Redux plotline. And Liv has gone back to being insufferable. Come on, J.J. stopping sucking whenever your shows make it to a second season.
  • Glee. If this show keeps going the way its going, expect a blog post devoted to just how awful everything other than the songs and Jane Lynch are.
  • How I Met Your Mother. Too much Barney and Robin. Get back to Ted and the Mother!
  • Modern Family. The best written new show. Al Bundy anchors this updated version of Arrested Development. Sofia Vergara is remarkably believable. Cameron is a star.
  • NCIS: Los Angeles. They should just rename this NCIS: Bromance.
  • Project Runway. Just awful. I don't care who wins. It might as well be Irina even though she's a raving b____________.
  • The Cleveland Show. Junk food for the soul, part 2.
  • The Office. Still funny.
  • The Real World / Road Rules Challenge: The Ruins. Crack for the soul.
  • The Simpsons. Even if it's not as good as it once was, it's still funny.
  • Top Chef: Las Vegas. One of the best seasons. GO JENNIFER!
  • Vampire Diaries. The best new show of the season. I'm totally serious.
  • White Collar. The other cool bromance of the season. Nice salve after the sort of suckitude of the fall season of Psych.

No comments: