Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Don't Piss Off The Fans.

How is that not obvious?
 
Today, you can pre-order Kris Allen's (<--btws I just wrote Kris Album by acci-pose) debut from iTunes.  Here are the multiple rubs that is pissing people (most importantly, me) off.
 
First, iTunes offered the "iTunes Pass" which was basically an obvious rip-off where they promised to send you exclusive content from the American Idol tour re: the Tender Puppy himself.  In this day and age of YouTube, I was surprised that anyone bit.  I guess it wasn't that big a deal though b/c part of the package was a pre-order of the album.
 
Second, iTunes released Live Like We're Dying, K-Sizzle's most ridick new single that is in the vein of Man in the Mirror -- i.e. a message song without the hamfisted preachiness of Evil Gokey (<---it has been a long time since I knocked him -- feels good).  I totally bought it.  Think Britney in a shiny-things store.
 
Third, the pre-order today is necessary to get an "exclusive bonus track."  I obviously went for it, but am kinda annoyed that I'm essentially buying LLWD twice.  It's unclear if I can just "complete the album" as you normally can on iTunes.
 
Fourth, Walmart.com also has an "exclusive bonus track" that is DIFFERENT from the one being sold on iTunes.  And it's unclear if they'll sell it separately, or if you have to buy the full album there to get it.
 
Look, I get that the music industry is having issues.  Think Miley and Twitter's "relationship."  But one of the brilliant things about iTunes was that at the heigh of Napster/Limewire/Kazaa/Grokster mania, along came a pay site that succeeded.  What boggles my mind is that music people somehow didn't learn that people WILL pay for their music, but it has to be fair.  Almost like, like, dare I say it?  A free market?  Screwing around like this with the faithful of new artists/epic symbols of ridick cuteness is just begging for the underground trade to come back in full force.  I'm just saying.
 
I've ranted about the music folks before.  Stop being douches, people.

No comments: