Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bar.

One of the worst kept secrets about law school is that law school doesn't actually prepare you for the bar exam, which is, you know, the main obstacle to actually becoming a lawyer. So, in an effort to extract ever more money from hapless students, about 1-2 weeks after you graduate from law school, you typically enroll in a private class designed specifically to teach the bar. Apparently the norm is to take Bar/Bri, which runs for about 7-8 weeks, with a PMBR supplement before and/or after the Bar/Bri classes. Both are exceedingly expensive classes.

In other words, what we thought we would learn over 3 "leisurely" years in law school, we actually learn in less than 2 months. To be fair, it is apparently common for Bar/Bri to actually clarify that which we learned during law school. For example, the counterpart to grand larceny is petit larceny, not petty larceny. More than 1 student, including yours truly, looked up from his notes and smiled at that little parting of the clouds.

For most jurisdictions, Bar/Bri and PMBR is the only game in town. So I have to entrust my future as a lawyer, in which I have already invested my left arm and my spiritual capacity for joy and forgiveness, to a private company that can't even spell "Massachusetts" correctly in their many emails to me. Pray for me.

No comments: