Saturday, May 17, 2008

Warmth.

The season 4 finale of The Office aired last night. I haven't laughed out loud at a sitcom like I did for this episode in a long, long time. Part of what made the whole thing work was the ease with which Amy Ryan entered the fray, creating an intriguing foil to Michael within minutes, and then believable fleshing out detail after detail as the scenes go on. (Ryan had her big mainstream break in Ben Affleck's Gone Baby Gone -- just owning Cate Blanchett in the pre-Oscar awards race for Best Supporting Actress.) I'm so taken with these women guesting in ensemble comedies and radiating warmth and comedy. I kept thinking of Scrubs's Sarah Chalke on How I Met Your Mother in particular as I watching. These are the guest spots of legend.

My only beef with the episode: Whereas some shows when mentioning a fake website actually put one up, The Office should have put the full Youtube clip of Ryan being carted away up. Boo.

1 comment:

Reva said...

That's hilarious, I hadn't checked to see if the HIMYM website exists. I love it. And you're right about the Ryan video, too.