Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Avoid Politics.

I tell myself not to write about politics in my blog because I'm avoiding anything potentially controversial that could affect my professional life.   But every so often, something big enough happens that I can't ignore.
 
Though I consider myself a good ol' Massachusetts boy, I'm fully well expecting that our governor next year will be a Republican.  This really isn't a surprise.  The four governors preceding Deval Patrick were all Reps, and several were exceptional (I'm looking at you Mr. Weld and, sigh, I guess, Mr. Romney, before you went all batsh-t crazy throwing us under the bus to forward your national aspirations).  It's simply true that statewide concerns differ from national concerns, so anyone who thinks that it's a shocker that this is bound to happen in the bluest state this side of Vermont is stupid.  It's not a referendum on Barack Obama.  It IS a referendum on Patrick: he has absolutely sucked as a governor.  (Don't believe me?  Look at the Rep frontrunner -- his running mate is openly gay.  Lolz - where else?  I love my state.)  None of this is news.
 
What is news is the special election for Ted Kennedy's senate seat taking place next week.  The presumptive winner (not just democratic nominee), Martha Coakley, has run what has quite possibly been the worst, most naive, and all-and-out dumbest political campaign I've seen in a long time.  She simply assumed that her relatively good name recognition and the little "(D)" next to her name would be enough.  This may be Massachusetts, but Martha, you are no Kennedy, and that's what Massholes blindly follow.  To wit, Scott Brown, a state senator (what is with these state senators shakin' up national politics? hi Mr. Obama!), is neck-and-neck with her with one week to go.  Seriously.  And Brown is no ordinary Rep -- he'd be considered Republican OUTSIDE of Massachusetts!  AAAHHH!!! 
 
So what does Martha do?  She went negative (which is bad enough because it reeks of desparation), but even worse . . .
 
SHE MISSPELLED MASSACHUSETTS IN THE AD.
 
Oy.  At least American Idol 9 starts tonight.  I need something to calm my nerves.

No comments: