Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Get It. I'm Old. Damn You, Beloit College!

In case you haven't been a faithful reader of my blog for the past two-something odd years, I like linking to the Beloit College Mindset list.  Here's where I commented on the Class of 2012 one, and here are my comments on the Class of 2013.  Again, the idea behind this is to help professors understand the worldview of incoming freshmen.  It matters, peeps, because like it or not, we do have a common cultural vocabulary (that is too often centered around pop culture, not that I'm complaining).  Anyhoos, here's the list for the Class of 2014.  And here's what, again, blows my ever-lovin' aging mind:
 
NOTE: These folks were born in 1992.  Eff me.
 
1. Few in the class know how to write in cursive.  [I HATE YOU, WORLD.]
7. "Caramel macchiato" and "venti half-caf vanilla latte" have always been street corner lingo.
10. A quarter of the class has at least one immigrant parent, and the immigration debate is not a big priority…unless it involves "real" aliens from another planet.  [REALLY?]
11. John McEnroe has never played professional tennis.
15. Colorful lapel ribbons have always been worn to indicate support for a cause.
16. Korean cars have always been a staple on American highways.
19. They never twisted the coiled handset wire aimlessly around their wrists while chatting on the phone.
27. Computers have never lacked a CD-ROM disk drive.
32. Czechoslovakia has never existed.
39. Pizza jockeys from Domino's have never killed themselves to get your pizza there in under 30 minutes.
46. Nirvana is on the classic oldies station.
50. Toothpaste tubes have always stood up on their caps.
64. The U.S, Canada, and Mexico have always agreed to trade freely. [ROSS PEROT!!!]

No comments: