Tuesday, April 29, 2008

American Idol Top 5: Neil Diamond

I'm just not a music person. Neil Diamond has sold over 100 million albums and is one of the most sought after tours each summer. Seemed just like some dude with a flashy jacket. I apologize for the heresy, but really, his interview clips were dumb.

I totally dug Jason Castro's first song (something about blue jeans?), David Cook's second song, Brooke White's second song (she should marry a piano), and Syesha Mercado's first song. I don't really care that Syesha's song sounded "old-fashioned." AI isn't looking for musicians and artists, it's looking for singers. It seems like a huge advantage if you know something or two about music arrangement (hallo Blake Lewis and David Cook!), but if you knew something or two about music arrangement, you'd know how bitch ass hard it is to do.

I normally love David Archuleta in the most inappropriate way, but he chose the two most karaoke-rrific songs of the Diamond catalog, and sang 'em just like that. And the CHEESE that flowed during song #2 (America), with the flag backdrop, and the fireworks, and the dancing Statues of Liberty, and the Ben Franklin drag queen? I love cheese (see: Anthony Fedorov), but even I gagged a bit.

Brooke's first song (I'm a Believer, though I'm not) was as miserably terrible as Paula was tonight. And I just can't remember the other songs, but for Syesha trying out for the next Disney musical.

Let's go with Brooke and Jason in the bottom 2, with Brooke going home. Please.

No comments: