Tuesday, April 22, 2008

American Idol Top 6: Andrew Lloyd Webber(?!)

It doesn't make sense to me that the producers of American Idol choose themes each week that seem so constricting for the singers. The first season's decade by decade progression at least made sense because any successful artist needs to be able to adapt to evolving tastes over time. Look at Madonna, Mariah Carey, and U2.

Ah well, despite Giving Back because they Make a Lot of Money, I guess they can't afford to expand things too much and pay royalties on actually cool songs. Otherwise we might actually get to here David Archuleta's supposedly rockin' version of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy." It's ok for now because I actually sort of dug his "Think of Me." I also thought that Carly Smithson had some something special going on tonight, too, with "Jesus Christ Superstar."

Middle of the road for me tonight was David Cook and Syesha Mercado. I like very much that David decided not to remix another pop song, because his "fresh take" on everything was ironically getting old. I'm also way impressed with rockers who actually have decent voices. Bo Bice and Sebastian Bach are good examples of that. I think he fumbled his first few notes, thought, and the tempo was a hair too slow to be really magical. Syesha, on the other hand, was a little too good, and sort of confirmed the fact that she's more Broadway than pop. It's interesting because that's the way that Broadway is headed, but it's definitely not the way that pop is headed.

Jason Castro, my favorite, took a risk, and failed. I was sort of digging the whole "Memory" vibe, but in the end, it just sounded weird. I think the song is just far too well-known, and unlike "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," where someone already broke the standard take and eased people into Jason's version, he was the first to remix it, and it sucked. Brooke, the other folk-singer, actually sounded like her voice would be able to sustain "You Must Love Me," but for her flub at the beginning. The restart was so egregious, that Paula looked like she was ready to scream at her for being so unprofessional. Plus, honey, it wasn't the first time you messed up an entrance to a song. "Every Breath You Take," anyone?

I'm gonna go Carly, Jason, and Brooke in the bottom 3, with Brooke going home.

No comments: