Wednesday, April 16, 2008

American Idol Top 7: Mariah Carey

Weird. This was not the trainwreck I was expecting it to be. Even better... we had A Moment. David Archuleta came close during the semi-finals with Imagine. But David Cook knocked it out with--of all songs--Always Be My Baby. When those violins entered with the detached notes, the song hit its stride, and I was all in. Wow. This needs to go in the pantheon, Carrie Underwood's Alone, Fantasia's Summertime, etc.

Jason Castro did me proud. And I even thought that Syesha Mercado was decent. Carly Smithson sang one of the most famous Mariah songs, and didn't quite own it. I didn't compare it to Mariah, I compared it to when Kelly Clarkson sang it season 1.

Kristy Lee Cook was just boring. But the worst had to be Brooke White, who is busy conflating feeling with basic rhythm and intonation. I used to be a fan, but unlike her male counterpart Jason, she can't stay on pitch. I'm done with her. It doesn't help that she butchered my favorite Mariah song of all time.

No comments: