Sunday, April 18, 2010

I'm Going To Try And Watch Movies.

Despite the fact that I really have no personal time in which to go to the theatah -- I'm looking forward to the summer anyway. The spring movie season is usually pretty terrible because studios tend to dump their bad movies then. Summer -- you get the big shooty flix, which then ease into the fall prestige films. Thank goodness it's about that time! Anyhoo, as I did last year, I perused the EW summer preview and here's what, in a perfect world, I'd watch (and what would be good movies -- even though at least half if not more will suck).

MAY
  • Iron Man 2 (5/7). I still don't really understand why they had to replace Terrence Howard. Still, RDJ in that cobalt blue racing suit redefines dashing. Yowsa.
  • Robin Hood (5/14). Is it weird that Hollywood still can't find a modern English actor to play RH other than Cary Elwes? Meh, I think that Cate Blanchett as Marion is inspired (I'd almost rather it be from her POV) and bows and arrows are cool, so, yah.
  • Prince of Persia (5/28). If, IF, this turns out to be a Pirates of the Caribbean-type adventure, I'm in. If it turns out to be a Tomb Raider type dud, then I'm out.
  • Micmacs (5/28). Jean-Pierre Jeunet goes all mimsy on us borogroves!

JUNE
  • Ondine (6/4). Colin Farrell is my favorite actor. And he knocked up his leading lady. So yah, amusing.
  • Toy Story 3 (6/18). Because I have a pulse.
  • Knight and Day (6/25). Because despite Tom Cruise's brainwashing of Katie Holmes, he's still a movie star who makes awesome movies. And the trailer made me laugh. And I don't even think the trailer gave away the whole movie! (See MIB as a horrible example of the latter.)

JULY
  • The Last Airbender (7/2). You have no idea how anxious I am about this one. If you don't know, Avatar: The Last Airbender, was this amazing cartoon on Nickelodeon -- incredibly mature concept that nerds like me can appreciate, but fun and light for the young'ns. When I heard they were making this live action, I... was excited. And then I heard that M. Night Shyamalaladingdong was directing, I... threw up a little in my mouth. And then when I heard that he didn't cast ANY Asian leads, I got pissed (he's since put in what's his name from Slumdog instead of JESSE FRIGGIN MCCARTNEY). This is definitely one of those movies where I'm not sure that getting what I wished for (a live-action version) is all that it's cracked up to be.
  • Inception (7/16). Even though it has a crappy title, this is Christopher Nolan doing his Memento thang. You bet I want to see this.
  • The Sorcerer's Apprentice (7/16). God help me. I hate both of the "stars" but I'm a fantasy-junkie.
  • Kisses (7/16). Yeah, yeah, I have a weird thing for Irish-themed films.
  • Dinner for Schmucks (7/23). Predictable premise. But it's hard for me not to want to see Paul Rudd in a movie. Just impossible. He. Has. Tiny. Arms.
  • Salt (7/23). Because Angelina Jolie kicking ass is bliss.
  • The Adjustment Bureau (7/30). I don't really understand what it's about, but hey, I always like to put Matt Damon's movies on my To See list and then inevitably not be able to see them in the theaters because I'm too busy. Sigh.

AUGUST
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (8/13). Dude. Awesome premise.

No comments: