Sunday, April 19, 2009

Summah, Summah, Summah Time. Starts in May Somehow.

The summer starts in early May, sayeth Hollywoods. And thus come forth summer movies! Oh, I'm all snobby and stuff about filmsmovies, but I'm also American enough to like things that go boom and things that cut the cheese (if this were Family Guy or Scrubs, we'd have a quick little montage with Dick Clark and the bonus round of the $25,000 Pyramid). Thanks to my trusty EW, whose latest ish runs down this upcoming season's offerings, here's what I'm look a-forwards to.

In May:
  1. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (5/1). I have this theory about men: some men collected baseball cards as kids, and other men collected comic books. As adults, you can usually tell the difference. I'm the latter. And the chance to see Gambit, er, Wolverine on screen again is so fetch.
  2. Star Trek (5/8). I hate Star Trek. But, man, does J.J. Abrams make this reboot look awesome. Plus, it's hard to not support the patron saint of Korean actors, John Cho (although the second Harold and Kumar is a fairly convincing counter-argument).
  3. Brothers Bloom(5/15). This con artist movie has been delayed several times now, which is usually a sure-fire indicator that it's going to smell like armpits. Which is too bad because I'm a huge Mark Ruffalo fan, and I heart con flicks.
  4. Angels & Demons (5/15). They gave Tom Hanks a haircut. I'm so there.
  5. Up (5/29). When "Cars" or "A Bug's Life" is your answer to naming the worst Pixar movie to date, then Pixar could make a movie about armpits for all I care. I'd see it. In 3-D.
June
  1. The Hangover (6/5). Adam says the advance buzz on this is like bunnies covered in honey. Also, I can't believe that Ed Helms was only born in 1974.
  2. Year One (6/19). Michael Cera and Jack Black as anachronistically aware cavemen traveling the Book of Genesis. Game. Set. Match.
  3. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (6/24). Shia Laboeuf, aka the next Tom Hanks and not Jim, needs to stop slicking back his hair like a douche. But things go bang. Wheeeeee!
July
  1. Bruno (7/10). Heh. I'm so nervous about what will occur in the movie. Good nervous. But nervous.
  2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (7/15). Because Harry Potter is legen--wait for it---kick-awesome.
  3. Funny People (7/31). A Judd Apatow movie that's actually directed by Judd Apatow!
August
  1. Paper Heart (8/7). I noted somewhere earlier in my blog that I love Michael Cera, but I worry that he might now have much range. That being said, I have not yet grown tired of this pony's one trick, and I love that he has been given a Paul Giamatti-ticket of unlikely leading man status. I'm supporting him till the well runs dry, if ever.
  2. G.I.Joe: Rise of Cobra (8/7). As my brother implored, please don't eff up this all-too important childhood memory. It's bad enough that Sienna Miller, aka poster child for famous-for-no-good-reason-I-hate-her-guts-I-know-that's-shallow-but-I-can't-help-it celebrities, is in it. I'd forgive them in a heart-murmur for that gaffe if they have the Joes and Cobra shoot different colors (was G.I.Joe red and cobra blue or vv?).
  3. The Time-Traveler's Wife (8/14). Rachel McAdams is a stunning, natural actress. One of my faves.
  4. Inglourious Basterds (8/21). Heehee, QT is all like "yo! I don't follow moviemaking rules, so me not going to follow grammar and spelling rules neitherz!" Whatevs. I can unspool from my Grammar Girl worship for two hours to watch some QT awesomeness.
Most anticipated: Up and Harry Potter. (Natch. You didn't think I'd actually grow up between the end of American Idol and the beginning of the summer season despite, *shudder* the big 3-0 occuring therein?)

The other big shooty movies that are coming out, but that I'm totes apathetic towards: Terminator Salvation (I'm not a Christian Bale fan, and there have been too many Terminator stuff, bad stuff, lately); Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (I'll catch it on Netflix); Public Enemies (meh); Julie and Julia (I love that Meryl headlines summer movies, but I'm not feeling this one.

No comments: