Tuesday, April 14, 2009

American Idol 8: The Top 7.

Now that everyone who is left has had the pimp spot, who *coughEvilGokey* are the producers going to put last tonight?  Is it even going to be a good thing tonight what with the judges not being to shut up long enough to, you know, let the show run on time?
 
I think it's interesting that Quentin Tarentino is the judge.  He's a great judge (with a head the shape of a turnip/sweet potato cross breed), and he should totally have a chin war with Jay Leno (newest reality show idea!), but his films aren't really for the American Idol general audience.  True, Kris Allen is like an adrenaline shot to the heart, and Evil Gokey is like Bill, but that's where the comparisons end.
 
So Allison Iraheta goes first, and she sings Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing."  This makes me think of when Diane Warren was on the show, and how drugged out she was.  That, and animal crackers down Arwen's crotch.  I think she did okay (have you noticed that her left hand always looks like it's delicately holding an egg?), but it's a friggin' crappy song from a crappy movie.  As much as I agree with Simon (major Lil diss), it's not a performance that gets me excited.
 
Then comes Anoop Desai, and he looks like Scott dressed him.  Too.  Many.  Patterns.  Not.  Enough.  Haircutting.  And something's gotta give with the caterpillers ready to jump each other over his eyes.  Now that Scott is gone, I see all the remaining 7 as viable recording artists.  So yeah, I'm going to pick on their looks (as if I need a reason).  Even though Randy and what's-her-face say that there were dynamic changes, I actually don't think that came across on TV.  I felt like the highs weren't very high and the lows weren't very low.  Anoop can sing all smooth-like-a-baby-butt and stuff, but QT was right, he needed to rough it up a bit, and he didn't.  Ooh, and you could tell that Simon hated it.  Oh, middle school last dance memories are coming back to me!  (More Than Words!  Wonderful Tonight!)
 
Adam Lambert is next.  Does he ever sing anything that didn't come from the 70s or the 80s?  The thing about those decades is that there is such an "image" associate with them, and so Adam can play to that.  But I'm trying to hear him sing an original song... not just an original arrangement of a song... and I don't quite hear it.  As good as Adam was (and don't get me wrong -- that was a brilliant take on Born to Be Wild), it felt like something I could see in Rent.  Oh, and he's a little top heavy.
 
Sourpuss, er, Matt Giraud is up.  He sings the second Bryan Adams song of the night.  Randy Newman eat your heart out!  Except that Matt screwed up the last third of his song.  Tonight he reminds me of Donald Duck playing the dueling piano in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?  While that's a pleasant thought, that doesn't make me want to vote for him.
 
Evil Gokey is not in the pimp spot!  FACED!  Oh, jeez, no glasses?  Look, as much as I make fun of the assortment of frames he has, just because we kicked off the blind guy doesn't mean we need a new one.  Evil is trying out a Don Johnson scruff.  Yeah, put that back in the box from whence it came.  Did Simon just reference Evil's dead wife again?  Seriously?  I have to admit it.  Evil has done a good job of toning down the stuff I hate about him (although in his interview he said he was bored -- BORED??? -- and you get to talk to Kris Allen all day?).  It's really the obsessive pimping by the judges and the producers that make me dislike him.
 
The personification of kick-awesome-ocity isn't going last, but that's ok.  Kris Allen easily wins the prize for hotness, er, I mean, for the cool factor for picking the song from Once, but OH MAN this is risky.  I'm actually too nervous to enjoy his performance (I also am distracted by how ill-fitting his jeans are -- they look like Robin Hood tights, except with jeans - I don't even understand how that's possible and I'm looking at them).  I think that Randy and Kara's reactions perfectly sum up how this is going to be received.  Some are going to HATE it, and some are going to LOVE it.  I haven't seen Once, but I do know that this song needs more than a minute and a half to just seep into the bones.  Man, Kris, this was a week when tweens and twentyeightsomething guys wanted to hear you sing a flat out pop love song.  I don't begrudge the coolness of the song choice, but it left me cold.
 
Lil Rounds has had enough of Simon kicking her in the face.  While I don't agree with her choice to Church Up one of the loveliest songs in the whole world, I understand why she did it.  And I didn't not like it.  Paula gives one of her patented "praise that isn't" comments and Simon backs up over her with his bus.  To him, Lil is the anti-Susan Boyle.
 
Who Moved Me?  No one.
Who Did the Best?  Adam.
Really?  By default.  Everyone else was sort of middling.
Worst Fashion Trend?  Coats with skinny jeans.  Or just skinny jeans.
Bottom Three?  Anoop, Matt, and Lil.
Lil?  Really?  I was going to put Kris or Allison in the bottom three, but then Lil just HAD to talk back to Simon.  Desperation does not go with that hairdo.
Bottom Two?  Anoop and Matt.
Going Home?  Matt.
Should Go Home?  Anoop.  There's nothing exciting about him that I can't get from someone else more talented in the group.
Judges Save?  Kara is Matt's biggest fan, but she's also the pariah of the group.  Preaching to the stuffed animal collection that one.

No comments: