Tuesday, December 2, 2008

And the Winner Is...

...Fox.

It's December. The TV season is pretty much in full swing, with some shows being considered hits (see CBS's The Mentalist) and other shows being cancelled (see, well, not anymore, CW's Sunday night line up). As for my list, you can see the current sitch on the left. The only new show that I've continued to watch is Fox's Fringe. Why? First of all, Pacey is awesome, weirdly thin legs and all. And second, it's more than aptly been able to balance stand-alone plots with an overarching thread (something I can't say for one of my other faves, Life). Even the Cate Blanchett wannabe who plays the lead has grown on me.

But that's it! And I gave a LOT of new shows a chance. I've even devoted precious blog space to some of these new shows. Oh well. So as it stands:

NBC - The Office, 30 Rock, Life (Heroes is still technically DVR'd, but I haven't seen the last, like 5 eps, and I have little desire to)
ABC - Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies
CBS - HIMYM
Fox - Fringe, The Simpsons, Family Guy
Other - Top Chef

This isn't encouraging. (Remember, I put TV above food in terms of life importance.) It's especially bad because my two ABC shows have been cancelled. Yes, yes, there are some off-cycle shows that have recently wrapped up, like ANTM and Project Runway, but I have to take stock at some point. And they'll be back soon anyway (well, ANTM at least).

So bring on the midseason replacements I say. From whence Eli Stone came, perhaps others will follow. Some shows are merely returning midseason, but others are totally new. Here's what I have my eye on right now:

ABC - Lost (I'm sticking with it for now, last season was good, but I still haven't forgiven it for the 2 before that.)
NBC - Kings (The buzz is good.)
Fox - American Idol (Duh.), Dollhouse (The buzz isn't good on this one. Oh well.)
The CW - Reaper (Why didn't it start in the fall?)
Other - Psych (I refuse to watch The Mentalist.), Battlestar Galactica (I'm a nerd.), RW/RR Challenge: The Duel II (Did I mention I'm a nerd?)

How do I have time for all this? Easy. I don't.

1 comment:

Reva said...

I feel EXACTLY the same way about Psych/The Mentalist. I was just complaining to my mom about it over Thanksgiving. Have we talked about that??