Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sizing Up the Top Chef Contestants.

Top Chef Season 6 started this week -- in Vegas! A nice little connection to my Labor Day plans. In any case, with 17 cheftestants, it's a little hard to separate the chaff from the tripe at this point. But that hasn't stopped me before:

1. First things first (what a weird saying, btw) I can't get enough of Padma Lakshmi's slightly stoned imperial presence. Utterly beguiling in all its mellow-ocity.

2. I was originally all excited that I recognized one of the restaurants owned by one of the contestants (Michael's Zatinya), until about 3 minutes into the episode where it became apparent that he's a major d-bag. And it only got progressively worse from there. Dude could not BE a more terrible Jersey stereotype.

3. I can't tell the brothers apart (Bravo's website dubbs them Bryan and Michael), but they both share a striking resemblance to Jason Dohring from Veronica Mars (of which I will selectively forget that season 3 ever happened). And that's a good thing. He put the Lo in LoVe! If you know what I'm talking about, take two awesome points and call me in the morning.

4. Jennifer seems like a cold b____.

5. Mattin is adorable. But after some cyberstalking (yes, yes, I do that, get over it), it's come to light that though he's pushing 6 feet, he weighs only 146 pounds. Eat some friggin' beurre, my friend.

6. Sadly, several of the contestants have already tried pushing their backstories to stand out. Well, I'll humor them, but convenient forget their names: Cancer Girl, Gay Boy, and the One Who Survived 937,294 Days On a Raft Made of Popsicle Sticks from Haiti. Call me callous, but these reality TV cliches are so overplayed and will get you only so far unless you brungz it.

My Super Early Pick (and note, I do not purport to have Kris Allen-like awesomeness when it comes to choosing Top Chef winners like I do when I choose, um Kris Allen -- I mean, I chose Fabio/Fabrizio/whatever his name is from last season): Jennifer.

No comments: