Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Zooey and Joe.

I'm not going to lie, I'm one of those people who sighed with a smile at the end of the (500) Days of Summer. (Some robots groaned.)

It's worth chattin' about again because I can't get it out of my head, which is always a sign that I particularly enjoyed a movie. And then lo and behold, my friend ***Elizabeth*** pointed me to this piece of awesomeness:



Apparently, Zooey and Joe are planning on Tom/Meg and Tracy/Hepburn their way into our hearts. I'm already there. This music vid only dusted off the welcome mat one more time.

And while we're on the topic, I'm going to take issue with Ezra Klein's "review" that Adam agreed with. It looked to me like Ezzy found a disconnect between the marketing of the movie and the movie itself. But so what? I'd think that most saavy viewers would immediately skepticize any sort of studio marketing of a movie. Taken on its own, however, (500) Days of Summer totally owns what it purports to be: a story about love and NOT a love story.

3 comments:

Mr. Cooper said...

In fairness, it wasn't just the marketing materials issue; her transformation at the end was so abrupt and inexplicable as to undermine some of the rest of the film. But still, pretty good movie.

Andy said...

That's fine. My issue isn't with your reaction, it's Klein's which focuses heavily--to the exclusion of actually valid criticism--on the difference between marketing-based expectations and the movie itself.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout-out! :)