Saturday, July 5, 2008

Defensible Massachusetts Domicile Once Again.

Where once I just said, "yeah, I'm from Massachusetts," now to be more accurate I say that "I can defend my claim that I'm domiciled in Massachusetts." When I went to law school, I bought a car in North Carolina not really thinking what that would require having never owned such a beast before. Well, with insurance, and fun state laws, I had to switch all my legal information to North Carolina info. (Fun state fact: pay the local registration tax otherwise NC puts a lien on your car, and they don't f*** around with delays.) The only upside to the whole thing was that with North Carolina tags, I could speed (not that I ever did... uh, right) without worrying too much that I'd be targeted by the cops. They typically focused on out-of-staters.

As of this week, however, I've now officially switched everything back over to Massachusetts: my car insurance, my driver's license (for which the RMV still had my old info on file--yup, they stuck my photo when I was 21 back on my license--don't worry I'm Asian, I look the same), my car registration and title, and my state car inspection sticker. The only thing I haven't yet switched is my telephone number, which I probably won't ever because it's a hassle and North Carolina state fees are inevitably cheaper than anything Verizon is going to charge me in Boston or Washington, and my voter registration, because I just can't decide which uber-liberal location I want my presidential vote to not count in. What this means, legally, is that where domicile is only dependent on my subjective intent, it helps to have paper that backs up my claim. I can't believe I actually know that this matters and how it's done. I. Am. Such. A. Nerd...









... because actually I love knowing this.

No comments: