Tuesday, February 2, 2010

His Name Is Oscar.

Oscar noms are out y'all!  While everyone is going to be talking about the "surprises" (is there a surprise anymore in this world of too-many pre-cursor award shows and totally-obvious marketing campaigns?), like The Blind Side for Best Pic and Mags for Supporting Actress, I'm going to try and come at this from my own, completely abnormal point of view.
  • Up in the Air was NOT nominated for Best Editing.  Ruh-roh.  I'm Scoobying on this because it was my favorite film of last year.  My fear is that with waning support, UITA's most likely win -- for adapted screenplay -- could be losing support.  The last time I loved a screenplay this much -- for You Can Count On Me -- it ended up losing (to Almost Famous).
    • The only thing I know about In the Loop is that it was supposed to be the big comeback of the girl from My Girl.  If out-of-left field support for this movie sandbags UITA's only real chance for a win, I'm gumby pissd.
  • The Secret of Kells?  WTF?  I don't know what this film is, but what's the point of making an Irish movie if you're not going to put Colin Farrell in it (even if it is animated -- actually, a toon Colin would be KICK-AWESOME!!!)?  Okay, okay, maybe Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, too.
  • I wonder if the whole moving to 10 nominees thing was worth it.  The average moviegoer doesn't obsess about reading the movie award tea leaves like *ahem* some of us do, so to them, The Blind Side, Up!, and District 9 getting nominated are great.  And it is great -- don't get me wrong.  But with the rest of the categories still limited to 5 -- most notably Best Director -- for geekazoids, we all sort of know what the 5 would have been in a different year.  It'll be interesting to see if the 10 noms affects the final vote (the Oscars use a weird weighted thingy system).  Otherwise, this whole expanding to 10 noms thing is really, truly stupid.
    • In other news, I might have to watch TBS now before it inevitably plays ad infinitum on TBS.
  • Peru got nominated for a film called The Milk of Sorrow.  That just makes me want to go beat up nerds and steal their lunch money.  It's like, take Johnny Weir, Elizabeth Wurtzel, every disaffected teen girl who takes photographs of her feet, every wannabe East Village hipster living on daddy's dime trying to be a documentary filmmaker when all he really wants to do is sell out, and every copy of The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Bell Jar, and The Catcher in the Rye (including e-versions), and then stick them in a blender.  Out will come a film called "The Milk of Sorrow."  And no, I haven't seen it.

No comments: