Tuesday, May 19, 2009

American Idol 8: The Finale.

Ah, the finale. The one we've all been waiting for. Well, the cool people of this world at least. (Sorry Allison-fans, at best, I wanted her to be third.) So to mark this final perf show of the Season of the Nail Polish Bromance, I'm live-blogging, baby! (With a touch of some DVR to help.) WOOP!

Camryn Manheim. Wow. Has she done anything in a while? Anything other than be self-righteous that is?

Simon's cleave is gross.

Carly Smithson sighting! Casey Carlson! C___ ___son!

Oh, Kradam just said "totally" in the same macho way. And neither are really macho.

Commercial break now before anyone sings? Way to interrupt the flow. Really, the directing of this season has sucked. At least they're telling us now that they're going to go over tomorrow night. I'll just leave the DVR on non-stop.

I like that Marshall's/TJMax girl who calls her friend "disgusting."

Adam Lambert: Mad World, Redux.
Glambo goes all Neo in The Matrix. Ooh, smokey. He's literally flaming before our eyes. I'm glad he chose this song. I prefer Adam's haunting sound, not his screeching sound. And I think that the casual viewer will be less likely to be turned off by this song. Personally, I would have chosen Tracks of My Tears.

Anthony Hopkins looks dead.

Evil Gokey sighting! Did he just get a cheer? I'll cheer too that he's not in the finale!

Kris Allen gives music coupons to his momma. Is that the cutest thing ever? Does he sweat bunnies and fart puppies? Jebus. I didn't think it was possible.

Uh oh. Delay in setting up the piano. Way to sandbag K-Sizzle, guys.

Kris Allen: Ain't No Sunshine, Redux!!!
I had heard he might do Falling Slowly or Heartless. But this is sooo totally what I wanted him to sing. This time his take is so deliberate. That glissando in the middle gives me goosebumps. And they gave him pimp lighting! The last note falsetto even worked this time. Look at those guns! Paula's writer needs to tighten up her words. And maybe keep them to two syllable or less words. Simon made a reference to Evil AGAIN without saying his name. Get over it. Your horse lost.

Adam Lambert: Change Is Going To Come.
Adam is wearing a suit but without the shellacked, wax-fruit hair pompadour that he's so fond of. Adam's singing a message song. Ohhh, he just glissed a note, too. Take that Tender Puppy. Adam's on full out divalishish mode. That is one hell of a glory note. That was pretty awesome. And I love how he gives props to the band. That's so classy. Paula's going offbook. That's like her going off-meds. Iconic? I don't know about that.

KATIE AND SURI SIGHTING!!!!

Kris Allen: What's Going On.
Another message song? Jeez. Fuller, get over yourself. I love the tone of his voice. I looooooove the tone of his voice. Randy says it's a little light. The producer chose the song! Simon says he's too laid back.... This just shows that Simon doesn't "get" Kris. He never has. Simon likes bombaste (see Leona and Il Divo). And it's good sometimes (see Leona). But it's not the only type of pop music out there, dude (don't see Il Divo, ever). Kris's henley is tight. What were we talking about?

Top 13 tableau! Someone turn Scott towards the camera. Does Jasmine really think that she deserves to be there?

Yikes, they are singing the coronation song back to back. This is unusual. This isn't going to be good for Kris.

Adam's take on "No Boundaries."
SHOOT THAT BACKGROUND SINGER. It's probably the same one who derailed his Cryin'. This is a big song. Don't know how Kris is going to do. Is Adam wearing lip gloss? Ooh, Adam thanked Kara for the song without breaking character. That. Is. Acting. He deserves to win just for that.

Some cougar in the audience is glowing in the dark. Neat trick.

Kris's take on "No Boundaries."
Did he just forget the words? Or have spittle go down the wrong pipe? This song is swallowing him whole. He's singing to the audience sitting on the... ceiling? Tough. Kara says she hopes people vote on the season. Simon says a nice thing about Kris. Golly, Simon. It only took Kris getting to the finals and destroying Adam.

I don't think I've liked the AI coronation song since "I Believe" by Fantasia. Mostly because that had a gospel choir enter in the end. Gospel choirs entering mid-song is always a winner. That and staccato strings backing a vocal (see David Cook's Always Be My Baby).

And so it ends.

I think Adam's going to win. And it's well-deserved. But I. Can't. Wait. For. Kris's. Album. And for him to surprise me by dropping by my apartment to hang out and watch How I Met Your Mother Together. I'll settle for a slick album.

No comments: