Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Closest I'll Get to Blogging About the Law...

...other than the Bar Exam.  I'd like to think that that's an experience the entrails of which no one faults me for describing in excruciating detail.
 
Here, I'd like to give myself a little shout out.  The Wall Street Journal law blog recently wrote about the fact that reforming Kelo v. New London isn't as straightforward as people thought.  Kelo upset a lot of people because they saw it as giving cities permission to transfer property to other private entities like corporations.  Since that case, voters have pushed their legislatures to put more stringent limits on the power.  However, the gist of the WSJ piece is that people forgot that there's a Step 1 before corporations even come into the picture--determining what property is blighted in the first place--and no one has a good idea of how to control that power.
 
I'm just pointing this out here, because in law school, I wrote a student note that was published in our law review that touches on this topic a bit.  Unfortunately, we were required to write our pieces pretty early on in our legal educations, so my theories aren't that well-developed, but I totally foresaw this definition of blight issue as a huge problem.
 
Don't worry, I'm not a serious law guy or anything.  I'm way more upset over the fact that Life and Reaper look like they aren't going to be renewed next season.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.