Friday, September 18, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Part III.

Week 3 of the new fall season is now! Week 2 had some goodies, and now here are the premieres I'm interested in:
  • How I Met Your Mother. HIMYM is finally getting some recognition for being a ridiculously well-written and acted TV show (although it lost the Emmy tonight). I firmly believe that it's Friends for Gen Y and the Millenials. But of course, some of us have been superfans since day 1 -- before it was cool to be NPH acolytes.
  • NCIS: LA. Reva likes the original NCIS, but I've never given it a shot. I don't know. I like procedurals, but I don't get addicted to them like I do to Padma Laksmi. I will say, though, that there's something about the combo of Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J and the focus on undercover work that makes this sound pretty good.
  • The Good Wife. Juliana Margulies is awesome. But she SUCKED on Canterbury's Law. And now she's playing another lawyer. I don't know. Maybe she really is only good opposite George Clooney? Or playing a nurse? I'll watch the pilot, but I don't have high hopes.
  • Modern Family. I had this on my list, and then I took it off after I saw the preview, and then I put it back on after the ridick buzz it's been getting. I'll check it out, I guess.
  • Cougartown. I've loved Courteney Cox Arquette ever since she was Alex P. Keaton's girlfriend (just as I've loved Matthew Perry since he was Tracey Gold's boyfriend on Growing Pains -- fyi, recall that Tracey's sister Missy was on Benson! Which starred Robert Guillaume who was on Sports Night by Aaron Sorkin, who wrote the miserably bad Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip on which, yup, Matthew Perry starred!).
  • Eastwick. I don't get the appeal of Lindsey Price. I think she's a black hole of charisma and talent. And now I've learned she's dating Ted Mosby. Ted could do so. much. better. Sort of hoping this will be a, you know, good version of Charmed.
  • Flashforward. Urgh. This just doesn't sound good at all -- but I don't know -- I really like John Cho and Joseph Fiennes. And I wonder if the show can really sustain itself based on the premise. The Nine had a cool idea -- but that sucked.
  • Dollhouse. I'm a Joss Whedon geek.
And this week presents the first DVR war. Wednesday during the 9pm hour, I've got three networks duking it out for my non-Nielsen-but-super-awesome-blog-review-attention. First, there's Glee, which is pretty much set. Second, there's TBL, which is terrible. And third, there's Modern Family and Cougartown. As of now, all three networks are likely to put the full eps online. I'm thinking that TBL is gonna lose this one (that's what you get, Corbin Bleu, for putting on weight).

No comments: