Friday, February 27, 2009

American Idol 8: Predictions for Semi-Final Group 3.

I'm still a little giddy that my boy made it. Now the 5 of you still left reading this crap-u-blog will just have to live that much longer with my gushing. The interwebs is reporting back that this is a major upset -- which can only fuel curious onlookers to see what the hubbub is about. I'm psyched.

But the show, she goes on! And next week we have the final semis. So far, my early predictions have happily needed to be revised after the performances, and so far, I seem to be getting the top 4 correct, but I can't seem to nail down who actually takes the 3rd seat. Let's see how I do this time.

Based purely on early Hollywood rounds, and intertubes buzziness:

For the guys...

I'm gonna say that Ju-not Joyner has the early lead by a hair. He auditioned last season, has a great voice, is insanely likeable, and frankly, will get pimped by the judges to ensure a non-all-white Top 12. But this is tough, because every single one of the other five guys has had way more screen time than JJ. Still, I think that the other 5 are more polarizing -- their early screen time did them no favors.

Scott McIntyre would be a natural choice given his visual impairment (and his super hot brother, who we'd be sure to see more of if he made it through), but Scott's voice really isn't that good. Jorge Nunez would be another logical choice, but I think that he's a little (read: A LOT) spastic, and his voice is a little (read: A LOT) genre-specific. Nathaniel Marshall has had the most face time with America. Sadly for him, that's not a good thing.

I think that Duckie, I mean, Von Smith is likeable, but he hasn't been shown singing well once yet. And Alex Wagner-Trugman has to hope that people who like the Big Bang Theory (and there are a lot of them) decide to watch and vote.

For the girls...

Lil Rounds. She completes the producers evil trinity (see Charisma-less RDJ and McGuyliner). The others never had a chance.

For the third slot...

I think getting cut might just have been the best thing ever to happen to Felicia Barton because now she's known as the girl who replaced Joanna "I'm desparate to be famous no I'm not Tatiana or Gokey" Pacitti. And even better, she can sing. Her YouTube vid singing No One by Alicia Keys is amazing and getting tons of views:



If she's anywhere this good on stage, she's in. Kristen McNamara might have a pity shot for having been demonized in the early rounds by Simon, Nathaniel, and that red-headed lady. Taylor Vaifanua might have a shot if she recalls Jordin Sparks in a good way (and not Chewbacca, as VFTW would have it). Kendall Beard seems like this week's hot girl, but they've been going down in flames so far. And Arianna Afsar seems cute and has had screen time, but I think she's going to one of those "oh yeah, I remember seeing her in the early rounds I think" contestants. Being in Group 3 is definitely to her disadvantage.

So there's my pre-performance predictions: Ju'Not, Lil, and Felicia.

No comments: