Tuesday, March 10, 2009

AI: The Top 13 Sing Michael Jackson.

Oh, Anoop. What hath thou done. Ghosts of Sanjaya came screaming back tonight. But you had the cutest parents in your montage! And you finally got a haircut, even if it was a little Danny Zuko. I think you're safe though...

Because Jasmine sucked. I couldn't tell if Paula was still crying from Danny, or starting to cry anew(p?) at how bad the wannabe Disney Princess was.

And Jorge will join you in the cellar. When Paula and Simon talked about the stage overwhelming the unprepared, they might as well have been talking directly to him.

Other than that, though, I thought this ep was kinda kick-awesome. I don't know if it's that Michael Jackson songs rock or what.

I totally loved Michael(!) and Megan tonight. Sure, his facial contortions to hit the high notes were not pretty on HD, but the bluesuit cleans up nice. And she was very "I'm the host of a kids show" quirky... in a good way.

Where does Danny get the same frames for his glasses but in different colors? Where did Adam get that blue leather jacket? Frankly, I'm so over them. And having Paula call the finals now just shows what a sham this show has been (and yet I keep watching). What's the point of watching the show for 10 weeks if there's no competition? And I really don't think that Adam has the mainstream pull that David Cook did last year to be a genre artist who wins AI. And I also think that Adam's "humility" is as fake as Paula's weave.

I still watch this horrid show, though, because of the dim hope that an unknown like Kris or Alexis will topple the goliath pimping of the producers. Alexis wasn't great tonight, and she's gone a bit too dirrty -- time to scale it back and show some 40's glam. Think film noir sultry. That is, if she isn't doomed by the Phone Number Debacle of Season 8. Kris was bril. I'm pretty sure he helped the other contestants (right on, Kara!) because he's a decent guy (suck it, Paula), who'll sacrifice the tween vote to admit that he loves his wife (faced! Simon - and boy did she look pissed) and do all that while Jason Mrazing it up (Randy, "very-well-job-done," idiot, I can't believe you're a successful music producer). Yeah, I'm biased, but the Brad Pitting of his hair and the surprising guns his arms are packin' are slick.

And lastly, while they were decent, I can't seem to get excited about Scott (I know he's blind, but SOMEONE has to fix his hair) or Allison (I love the indestructability of being sixteen, but I'm getting a 1-dimensional vibe from her) or Lil (I swear her voice doesn't resonate or echo) or Matt (ummm).

The best of the bunch tonight, in no real order: Michael, Megan, Adam.
Nipping at their heels: Kris, Danny, Lil, Matt.
Take 'em or leave 'em: Allison, Scott, Alexis.
Bottom 3: Anoop, Jasmine, Jorge.
Worst song: P.Y.T. by Danny.
Worst song choice for the individual singer: Bad by Anoop.
Best song: Black or White by Adam.
Best song choice for the individual singer: Rockin' Robin by Megan.
Awesomest parent: Alexis's Jerry Garcia of a dad.

Going home: Jasmine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Megan was horrendous and should have rocked her robin all the way home!