Sunday, March 29, 2009

Indulging My Love for Kris Allen.

Although this is the eighth season of American Idol, it is only the fourth time that they have used the format of taking the top 2 or 3 from "random" semi-final rounds to compose the Top 10 (or 13 this year).

Interesting trivia: of the previous 3 times, the two finalists have always come from the same semi-final group.

  • In season 1, Kelly and Justin were in the same semis.
  • In season 2, Ruben and Clay were in the same semis (and K.Lo, the third place finisher, was also in their semi).
  • In season 3, Fantasia and Diana were in the same semis.

Of course this is meaningless, but it's kinda cool for a nutjob like myself (and Michael Slezak of EW) who are starting to like the idea of an Adam Lambert-Kris Allen-Allison Iraheta top 3. What do they have in common? They were all in the same semi.



I'm jamming this post here, too, because I don't want to overwhelm with American Idol musings.
Frankly, I've been too busy lately to splurge my deepest innermost feelings about American Idol this season more than a couple times a week (I know, I'm sure it feels like a lot more). But even work can't stop me from fully dissecting a recent report from EW, who sends a reporter to AI tapings to report back about what goes on behind the scenes (it's awesome to learn about what it live, what isn't, and what plays well in person vs. on tv). To wit...

Adam and Danny as expected are popular, but Kris apparently is creeping up:
Quick scan of signs (heavy on the Adam, Danny, Kris) before Your!Top!10! emerged to take their places for the cold open . . .
Regarding Kris's last note during his perf:
Retained enough hearing to really enjoy Kris's take on "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)," especially his killer last note, and I have something to tell you now that you will find SHOCKING and you may want to BRACE YOURSELF FOR: Remember that one time when, at the end of Kris's song, Paula complimented him on said killer last note, because it was "a high A or something like that"? Yeah. I checked. It was more or less a high A. Zwa-huh? Dummy say what? DOES PAULA ABDUL HAVE PERFECT PITCH? I do not know. I am equal parts terrified and impressed by that woman's sudden flirtation with lucidity.
Seriously. Paula's actually the most relevant judge this season? It's like the threat of another female judge has put Paula on her A-game.
Debbie the Stage Manager -- who is, as regular readers know, my true American Idol -- hugged Kris on his way out.
I'm betting Evil Gokey doesn't get a hug. And on to evidence that some contestants are genuinely nice:
...when all the contestants came out during the song clips to close the show, young Allison was swept off her feet by Kris Allen in the biggest DUDE YOU JUST ROCKED THAT hug I've ever seen. Those two continued to party with each other under the video, spreading their lovefest to Adam by fake-bowing when his clip played, and grooving to everything else. I like the idea that Kris and Allison comprise some sort of Actually Have A Soul Patrol. I'm going to keep an eye on those two.
If you've been stalking watching this season as I have, you've got to have noticed that those two are like brother and sister. It's sweet. Plus, I've learned from US Weekly that Kris and Adam are roomies in the mansion.

No comments: