Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Finals!

I'm such a nerd.  I haven't been this excited for the American Idol finals as a whole in a while.  Last year, the drama over the fact that at least a third of the finalists had previously had recording contracts was overwhelming.  The year before that, the best singer's signature was "My Funny Valentine" (snore) and was all about Sanjaya.  Before that was the Taylor Hicks year.  Sure, there have been bright spots, like Blake's "You Give Love A Bad Name", Jason Castro's song choices, and the fact that every winner seems to be what AI is about (giving people a chance), even if other finalists seem a bit too preened for celebridom (PIckler, you make me puke).
 
Here's what I'm looking forward to tonight:
  • Kris, Alexis, and Anoop.  Three people who seem truly genuine - embarrassed by the attention, but eager to learn and grow and entertain.
  • Adam, Danny, and Lil.  The conspiracy!  They are all amazing singers, and they most certainly didn't decide to be the Producers' Pets, but the Big Bads they are... the Yankees, the ManU.  I like to root against the popular choices (sort of like Adam).
  • Is Danny going to sing We Are the World?  You know he wants to.  Is someone going to dare touch Billie Jean a mere year after Cook claimed it as his?  Allison might just be stupid / reckless / fearless enough to do so.  Who's the poor sap that's going to get stuck with Ease on Down the Road?  My money's on Ricky Braddy.  (What, he's not in the finals?  I'm sure the producers will find yet another way to sandbag him.)
  • Michael's "dancing."  Megan's "dancing."
  • Seacrest's hipster casual look this season.
Here's what I'm not:
  • Scott's pitch, Jasmine's tone, Matt's vibrato, and Megan's high notes.  They are all limited singers.  They'll be fine for a few weeks, but as the genres change and they are forced to be versatile, the weaknesses will become evident.
  • Michael Jackson week.  Really?  The judges call this a contestant killer, and you're going to make it Week 1's theme?
  • Paula calling the girls beautiful, as if that will make them feel better for doing a crappy job on national television.  At this point, it's so obviously a backhanded comment, I actually cringe hearing it from her.
  • The pit audience.  Especially if they wave their arms and sway.  I hate them.  I hate them with a passion.
And on an unrelated note, last night I learned that Justin Long was the voice of Alvin in the live-action Alvin and the Chipmunks movie.

No comments: